In a measure of just how serious the ongoing outbreak of coronavirus has become, the provincial government of Quebec is reporting a record number of cases. On Monday, the province reported 692 new cases. While news of these infections has inspired confidence in the overall performance of the campaign against the deadly virus, there has been some concern as to the capacity of Quebec’s epidemiologists to follow the spread of the virus.
Late on Monday night, World Health Organization and Canadian officials announced the deaths of two more victims: a 16-year-old boy and a 41-year-old woman, both who lived in the same hospital as victims Gennady Glavin, a physician, and his wife and family friend, who died last week. While the causes of death have not been made public, officials said they believe the two cases are related. On Monday, Dr. Marc-André Poulin, the provincial health minister, told the media that the number of total cases does not change the national or provincial governments’ strategy against the virus.
“Our strategy has not changed,” Dr. Poulin said. “Our plan is to control the virus in cases where it is identified. Our role is to respond quickly to the symptoms of patients.”
Dr. Louis Morisset, the minister of health and long-term care, said the province will continue to be vigilant and he said he was satisfied with the progress in containing the virus. He said that the number of confirmed cases of coronavirus has fallen by more than 50 percent since the beginning of the outbreak, adding that the government was focused on containing the virus and not halting it completely.
“I am happy to report to Quebecers that our first nine weeks have proven that we have control of the spread of this virus and we can feel confident in our ability to contain it,” Dr. Morisset said on Tuesday.